Friday, June 24, 2011

The off-season

Boy, it has been sometime since I posted an update. I do apologize to everyone who did follow the blog. Last thing I remember was my good friend Reid Carruthers winning the world men's curling championship alongside Jeff Stoughton, Jon Mead and Steve Gould. Their hard work ended Manitoba's Brier/World Championship drought of 12 years.

I wanted to thank everyone that supporter me this past year. I started to see the fruits of my labour after I graduated from broadcasting school in April. I landed myself a job in Swan River, MB working at the local radio station. At the same time I was interviewing for the job in Swan River I also had a job interview in Dauphin which they offered to me just before I started in Swan River. I am now living on my own for the first time and I really have to credit my success to my family who have supported me in all my decisions.

I hope to be able to get back to competitive curling next season but I know that if I want to have any shot at getting to the brier someday I will need to make drastic changes in my life. John Morris and Dean Gemmell released a curling fitness book a while back that I am thinking about purchasing to help me start out there. We all know the story of John Morris curling at the Brier I believe just days after being hit by a car so I think his conditioning allowed him to do that. Anyways, I had a lot of success in juniors and I question how great my curling ability really is. I was surrounded by a great team and even better friends(thanks Adam, Andrew & Geoff) who are the ones that really deserve all the credit. Those were an amazing 5 years we had together in juniors.

So enough wallowing in the past and on to the future. Optimists are always telling me do not dwell on the past because if you do life will pass you by. I am quickly coming to learn this. This upcoming season will be the 6th year where I have not curled in a provincial championship even though I have been close a couple of times. What must I do to become a better curler? Well I defiantly need to start working out on some kind of level and eat much healthier. When I have a chance to go throw rocks I should take the opportunity to do so. A little work every day goes a long way. Over the next couple of weeks I will try to think of some things to help my accomplish these very vague goals.

Time to head to bed. I wanted to also thank Resby Coutts for having me alongside this on Rock Talk as his "in-turn" as he would say. He also deserves a congratulations for becoming the next President of CurlManitoba. Until next time everyone.

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment